Foot care is an all year round topic, but especially important when the hot weather returns and you start wearing sandals and open-toed shoes.
We make a lot of effort with our make up and hair, but foot care is often forgotten.
Here is how to bring your feet into tip-top shape:
1. Treat yourself to a Pedicure
Keep your feet in good shape with regular pedicures.
Step 1 – Remove an old nail varnish and cut your toenails or file them into shape.
Step 2 – Put your feet on a towel or tissue and with a pumice stone rub off all the dead skin cells on the foot sole and heal. If you do this regularly there should not be too much of a build up. If you have not done this for a while you might want to consider a professional pedicure to get rid of all excess skin cells.
Step3 – Apply a good foot massage oil or foot lotion and gently rub it into your feet. Then take the foot lotion off your nails with a tissue and revarnish your toe nails, ideally using 2-3 layers. By this time the foot lotion should have soaked in and you can just remove the excess with a tissue.
To make it even easier we have created a Foot care symbol
Cracked heels don’t look so attractive and that is a reason why many people refrain from wearing open shoes. But it is more serious than the beauty side. Cracked heels can become very painful and prevent you from exercising, which can become an overall health problem.
The early stages of cracked heels are usually caused by insufficient moisture. This is easy to solve and below you find some tips. Other causes can be walking barefoot, excessive hot showers, prolonged standing, fungal or other foot infections and medical conditions, for example diabetes. The later require a visit to a doctor or chiropodist.
So let’s start with some easy ways to give your feet a well-deserved pampering session and hopefully get your feet looking gorgeous again. Below are a few recipes to get started and please choose according what you want to achieve. Always take off nail polish first and cut your nails to size as after your feet have been in water this is harder to do. To pass time easily I would recommend you do this whilst watching TV or any stationary desk activity.
1. The Vinegar soak
This method is good for a small amount of rough skin
2. Hydrogen Peroxide cleanse
This works well for cracked heels and very dry skin.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – 2 cups – you can get that in a hairdressing supplier, go for volume 10%
- Hot water – 4 cupsFoot file or pumice stone
- Foot lotion or cream
- How to do it:
- Take any nail polish off (if you have) and clip your nail to the desired length.
- Add hydrogen peroxide to hot water to your bowl and soak your feet for 20-30 minutes.
- Pat your feet dry with towel and use the foot file to remove the dead skin.
- Finally apply lotion and cover feet with socks.
- Leave it overnight and wake up to a softer feet in the morning.
3. Vicks rub/Epson salt soak
This is an alternative recipe for cracked heels and you must not be allergic to menthol which gives it a fresh feel and the salt will attract moisture. If you suffer very badly from cracked heels you may consider doing this every weekend for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a big difference. Again supplement with body oil/foot lotion to keep your feet well hydrated.
You will need:
- Vicks Vapour Rub
- Luke warm water
- epson salt- 3 table spoon
How to do it:
- Rub the vicks vapour rub over the cracked regions of your feet.
- Cover it with socks overnight.
- In the morning, pad the rest of the Vicks rub off your feet and prepare a foot bath with 2
- And then pamper your feet by soaking in lukewarm water mixed with the bath salts.
- Stay in there for about 10 minutes and notice the difference.
5. Lemon water
This foot bath works well if you suffer from sweaty feet and will prevent infection. If you sweat a lot, do it every few days.
You will need:
- Warm Water – fill up your washing up bowl to cover both feet
- Lemon Juice – 2-3 Tablespoons
- Foot scrub and lotion
How to do it:
- Fill up you washing up bowel with warm water and add the lemon juice.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for around 20 minutes.
- Pat them dry later and apply a foot scrub to exfoliate the dead skin layers.
- Then scrub it with a soft foot brush or exfoliating glove to get rid of the dead skin cells.