I have something to share with you. For years I could not do without my early morning coffee. That was until last summer when I decided to replace my daily brown brew with lemon water. And the results have been astounding. I get lots of comments that I look healthier, younger, etc. and I feel better. I believe that my body was too acidic and adding tea and coffee (also acid substances) did not help. Lemon water is very alkaline and therefore balances my body ph level, it is really that simple.
Having enjoyed the benefits myself, I have now started looking into the facts why lemon water is so beneficial.
First off is of course that lemon water contains a lot of vitamin C, which helps your gut to produce hydrochloric acid. This helps to neutralize the ph levels, fights free radicals, and helps our stomach with the process of digestion. The Ancient Greeks already drank a cup of lukewarm water to wake up their bodies and eliminate toxins. Hippocrates declared in 400 B.C. that ‘all disease starts in the gut’ and this still remains to be true to this day.
Lemon juice contains small amounts of iron and is a great source of vitamin C and citric acid, which can increase the absorption of iron from other foods
No wonder, it is so good for you!
We have listed some of the amazing benefits you can enjoy by drinking a single cup of warm lemon water each morning.
It’s as simple as that – boil 1/2 liter of water, let it cool until it has the right drinking temperature, and add the juice of a quarter to half a lemon (depends on taste, start with less and slowly move up to half a lemon a day.
1. It helps you lose weight – Lemons are rich in pectin, fiber which decreases appetite.
2. Improves digestion – Lemon juice helps the body discharge waste materials, by stimulating the liver to secrete acids important for digestion.
3. Cleans the skin – Vitamin C reduces the pores and any skin imperfection. Lemon water cleans the toxins from the blood that affect the health of your skin.
4. Improves the immune system – Thanks to the large amount of vitamin C, which is excellent in fighting colds. Lemons also contain potassium, which stimulates the brain, and nerves and controls blood pressure.
5. Reduces respiratory problems – Warm lemon water will help you stop coughing and breathe more easily, so it is especially beneficial for people with asthma and allergies.
6. Balances pH – This fruit is one of the most alkaline foods. Drink some lemon water, in order to reduce the acidity in your body. Lemons contain citric acid, but it does not affect the acidity in your body.
7. An excellent diuretic – Lemon accelerates the excretion of urine and thereby eliminates the toxins. The urinary tract is healthier when it is regularly cleaned.
8. Due to a large amount of vitamin C, lemon water is used in the treatment of infections, wounds, allergies, and sore throat.
9. Drink it instead of coffee – Even though it contains no caffeine, lemon water is an excellent replacement for your morning coffee.
10. Freshens your breath, and relieves toothache and gum inflammation, but be careful – citric acid erodes the tooth enamel. This is the reason why you should drink the juice of half a lemon with plenty of water as too concentrated can be bad for your teeth.