Nutmeg is the ground pip of the nutmeg fruit growing on the
The ground nutmeg spice is predominantly used as kitchen spice and it is rich in magnesium, vitamin B6, calcium and iron.
Today nutmeg is grown in Indonesia, Malaysia, Grenada and India where it
During Elizabeth’s I reign nutmeg was said to ward off the plague and the price skyrocketed.
Nutmeg should be used sparingly, as excess intake can cause allergic reactions.
- Carluccio’s Spinach ball pasta
- You will need:
- 500g/1lb 2oz spinach washed thoroughly, tough stalks removed
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, blended to a purée with ½ tsp water
- 110g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g/2oz parmesan or similar vegetarian hard cheese, freshly grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
For the courgette pasta sauce
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 chili finely chopped
- 2 courgettes, trimmed, finely grated
- 60g/2¼oz parmesan or similar vegetarian hard cheese, freshly grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g/14oz rigatoni or similar pasta cooked according to packet instructions, drained (reserve a few spoonfuls of the cooking water)
- How to cut your vegetables
- For the spinach balls, blanch the spinach leaves in a pan of salted, boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then drain well and refresh in cold water.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much water from the blanched spinach leaves as possible, then finely chop the spinach.
- Transfer the blanched, drained spinach to a bowl, then stir in the beaten eggs, nutmeg, garlic purée, breadcrumbs and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well until the mixture binds together, adding more breadcrumbs or more water, as necessary, to bind the mixture.
- Roll the spinach mixture into walnut-sized balls and place onto a baking tray.
- Cover the base of a frying pan in a thin film of olive oil. Heat gently over a low to medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the spinach balls, in batches if necessary, and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden-brown all over. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining spinach balls.
- Meanwhile, for the pasta sauce, heat the oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
- Add the courgettes and continue to fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the courgettes have started to soften.
- Add the parmesan and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until well combined, then stir in the reserved cooking water from the pasta and the cooked, drained rigatoni.
- To serve, divide the pasta and sauce equally among four serving plates. Place the fried spinach balls on top.
Home-made skincare using nutmeg
- Reduces pigmentation and dark spots
- Lightens skin
- Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, fights spots and acne
- Stimulates hair growth
and these are just a few
Recipe to lighten your skin:
Combine 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder with 1 tsp of fresh lemon juibe and 1 tbsp of yoghurt in a bowl. Apply this mask to your skin (avoid the eye area and mouth) and rinse off with lukewarm water. Then apply a good moisturiser. If you have sensitive skin I would recommend a patch test, where you put a small amount onto your arm to see if it provokes a reaction. Do this 24 hours before applying the mask. Once you know you are fine, use this mask consistently 3-4 times per week to notice a difference.
Nutmeg Spot Treatment:
Add a pinch of cinnemon powder and a pinch of nutmeg powder into a small bowl. Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice to it and add 1/2 tsp of honey. Put this mixture onto your spots and leave on them for about 20minutes before rinsing this mixture off.
Youthful nutmeg skin mask:
Mix 1 tsp of honey, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder, 1 tsp of Greek yogurt to form a paste. Apply to your face and leave for about 10 min( as always avoid the face and mouth and do a patch test 24 hours before applying for the first time). Wash it off with lukewarm water and make sure it does not get into your eyes as nutmeg does sting!
Use 1 tbsp of coconut milk and a pinch of nutmeg. Stir well and put into a small bottle, then apply on a cotton ball on a clean face.